Monday 26 August 2013

Hokkaido Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream

My dearest dearest friend Davina was quitting her current job and moving back to her hometown so we gals planned a small farewell for her...sort of a dinner gathering here in Seremban..So, me and my fren Joann planned to make a surprise cake for the occasion. First we wanted to make a chocolate caramel ombre cake but I couldnt get the muscavado sugar that was needed so we changed the plan and decided on a White Chocolate Tiramisu cake. Unfortunately, we couldn't find white chocolate, sponge fingers and even mascarpone on that particular week...Well, it was truly dissapointing. So I went to the hypermarket, grabbed whatever I could find, bearing in mind that I will somehow come up with plan the next day. When I reached home and started pondering on what I could make with whatever that I have in hand, I realized I had long bought the hokkaido cupcake liners and I've always wanted to give it a try...so, here goes...our first attempt (me and Joann's) at Hokkaido cake.....

The cake turned out nice and we got lots of praises but to me it needed to lighter and lacked the melt in the mouth texture that I was hoping for. Nevertheless, it was a lovely light cake which we had for dessert and the strawberry cream was awesome.

The original recipe is from Nasi Lemak Lover,,I followed the recipe given...changes I made:
- I used canola oil as I didnt have corn oil
- I doubled the recipe for the strawberry cream
- I could make 8 cupcakes with this recipe


Ingredients :

3 egg yolks
20 gm sugar
35 gm canola oil
60 gm milk
70 gm cake flour

3 egg whites
25 gm sugar

Strawberry Cream :

120 gm whipping cream
30 gm icing sugar
about 4-5 fresh strawberries (pureed)

Ice cubes and ice water

Method :
Preheat oven 170C.
Arrange paper liners on baking tray,
Hand whisk egg yolks and sugar till pale in colour. Add in oil and milk. Mix. Sift in cake flour, stir till combined, keep aside.
Beat egg whites till foamy, gradually add sugar and beat till soft peaks form. I used a hand held electric beater.
Take 1/3 of egg white mixture and add to yolk mixture. Mix with hand whisk. Fold in balance egg white into yolk mixture and mix with spatula till combined.
Scoop batter into liners (3/4 full) and bake for about 20-25 mins on middle rack. Mine took 20 mins.
Once done, leave on wire rack to cool.

Meanwhile, beat whipping cream and sugar till firm and stiff (over a bowl of icy cold water).
Add in strawberry puree, mix well.

Pipe cream into cupcakes. Refrigerate before consume.


This is a pic of all of us last week during the meet :)


 Linking this recipe to Shruti’s ‘Sweet Celebration’ Event :)
Sweet Celebration

2 comments:

  1. Lovely presentation... Lovely clicks... n most importantly, lovely cupcakes for a strawberry fan :)

    Thanks for linking it to my event :)

    ReplyDelete