1 loaf of french bread (cubed)- i used a long baguette
3 cups milk
1/4 cup thickened cream
1/4 cup chocolate milk
1/4 cup espresso
3/4 cup castor sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp vanilla essence
1 /2 tsp ground cinnamon
6 eggs , lightly beaten
150 gm chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 160 C.
2. Lightly grease 33 by 23 cm or 25 by 25 cm baking dish and fill it with the bread cubes.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, choc milk and coffee.
4. In another bowl, combine castor sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder and mix well. Add this to the milk mixture. Whisk to combine.
5. In a medium bowl, add vanilla essence and cinnamon powder to the beaten eggs. Combine the egg mixture into the milk mixture . Add in the chocolate chips.
6. Pour this mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Let it stand for about 20 mins till the bread absorbs most of the milk mixture.
Vanilla Custard Sauce
25gm granulated sugar
2 tsp cornflour
a pinch salt
180 ml milk
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla essence
Method : In a small saucepan, whisk sugar, cornflour and salt together until well blended. Whisk in the milk and cook over low heat till almost boiling. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and vanilla until well blended. Add a couple of tbsp of the hot milk from the saucepan and whisk to temper the eggs. Add resulting egg mixture to the rest in the pan. Whisk to combine.
Cook over low heat, stirring continuously until sauce thickens.